
I never really knew where I stood on the whole issue of Valentines. Is it just a way for greetings card companies to make more money? Is there really any substance to the romance of it all? I am sick of listening to chicks complain about how commercial it has all become when they are really just bitterly knowing that no gifts are coming their way. And dudes are just as bad because they don't want to make any grand gestures incase they set a standard they know they won't maintain next year. I don't like to make generalisations like that, because I certainly did see some very stressed florists running around yesterday, so plenty of folks did in fact get something nice. I still haven't made up my mind on whether to feel the romance just because of a day in the calender. However, on a regular basis there is a young girl who catches my afternoon bus. Her beau is always sitting on a park bench waiting for her and without fail everytime she exits the bus, they see each other they both smile, embrace, kiss and walk off hand in hand. I think that's worth much more than any roses or chocolates in a heart shaped box.
6 comments:
I'm a bit with you on this one Maherster. I'm not quite sure what to think either.
This year I decided not to be cranky and bitter about the lack of romance in my marriage (mind you I would probably be the first one to bitch about it if I did get me some). So I shouted my work mates some Emmanuel's Potato Scallops for afternoon tea. It went down a treat and everyone felt the love. Then I got Josh's kindy teachers some small chocolate hearts from David Jones (40 cent each - bargin). They were really chuffed. It makes it so much sweeter comming from a 3yr old boy too. They just melted and it made me feel great. I was really surprised that I was the only one who bothered to show a bit of affection though.
But it gave me a real warm fuzzy and I felt real lovingly. And the few people I lavished with grease and sugar felt it too, if only for a moment.
Dang! Where the hell was I at arvo tea time? I do so love a potato scallop on occasion. They make me sick as a dog, but sometimes I just can't keep away from the little suckers.
It warms my heart that you were so generous. All I actually did to acknowledge the day was wear red shoes.
Come on all you readers and non comment leavers.
This is fun, try it, put something down. It doesn't have to be whitty or whimsical, mine certainly aren't. But it is great fun to have a go anyway.
Thanks Gwen. I love having you in my corner.
Hey, I know I have been slack this week. I will try and find some time to make a new entry soon. OK?
Sorry for the absence ladies, y'know, holiday in Vietnam and all. Given that my birthday is the day after VD, it's never a really big deal. I like to do things for Wurly on VD but as long as I get spoilt on my birthday, I don't really care about VD. I sent him chockies to his work once and that was fun. I much prefer the non-specific random kind act or bunch of flowers, it means MUCH more.
Post a Comment