Wednesday, February 07, 2007

That 80's band


I have been at band practice this evening. Things are coming along quite nicely. The photo above is a bit grainy, but you can still make out the mullets and bad 80's style. You will notice I am not in the photo, because I am behind the camera that took the shot! My favourites on our play list are Girls on Film and Kids in America, both classics! The sound of the continuous camera shutter at the beginning of 'Girls' still takes me back. But the point I'd like to raise is the eye opener of having the printed lyrics to all the songs we are performing and finding out the stupid stuff that I have been singing for all these years is totally wrong. Which brings me to telling you that up until only a few years ago, when I would soulfully be singing along with my eye's closed and fists clenched to David Bowie's Ashes to Ashes (not a song that we do by the way) I would be saying " ashes to ashes, bunk to bunket, we know Major Tom's a junket". The real words are 'funk to funky, we know Major Tom's a junky'. I know you guys must have some similiar stuff to share.....

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

For quite some time I used to think that Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" was actually "Tony Danza". I didn't know the rest of the chorus so I used to just sing " Oh Tony Danza ..... mmm mmm mm hummm" You can see the similarities I'm sure, so please don't laugh at me. Not to my face anyway. I'm very sensitive about it.

I love changing the words to songs and putting my own spin on things. For example....'Brown Town'. At the next Karaoke night I want to do the Rogue Traders, 'Take Me Down Town' and put my spin on it. It so works.

I'm loving the do's in the shot, expecially the blonde mullet. Very Brian Manix. I hope you are wearing a fluro pink 'Choose Life' t-shirt behind the camera.

nancyshack said...

Michael Jackson's, "BIllie Jean"
Misheard Lyrics:
People always told me
Be careful who you love
Don't go around touching young boys' parts.
Original Lyrics:
People always told me
Be careful who you love
Don't go around breaking young girls' hearts.

he he he

Phyllis said...

Ah the irony of your mis-heard Billie Jean. That is fantastic. Although as far as Michael Jackson is concerned some of the actual lyrics are funnier than anything you could ever make up. For example; I am seriously tickled every time I hear him singing BAD. When you listen carefully you will hear the background singers in the chorus singing "Oh yes he's bad, bad, really really bad" So clearly when MJ was roughing it in the subway system of New York city and getting into gangland fights, you ask yourself just how mean and dirty he was willing to get? And the answer was really really bad. No sir, you don't want to mess with him! Now, let's address the Elton John faux pas. Don't feel so bad Gwen. I have known someone else who had thought the same thing. And you do clearly make up for your mistake by inventing better lyrics on purpose.

nancyshack said...

Check out www.amiright.com and www.kissthisguy.com
I must assign credit where credit is due - the MJ example was ripped off the internet.

Wurly said...

I used to sing/think, "we're gonna rock down to ELECTRIC CAVENUTE... and then we'll take it higher"

Then one day in '96, whilst living near Electric Avenue in Brixton - it all made sense...

Wurly said...

and no questions about what exactly a Cavenute is... you don't need to know this stuff when you're about 8 or 9...

Phyllis said...

Cavanute! I love it! That's the spirit of what I am talking about. And Nancy.....shame on you for cheating :-( And shame on me for using a sad face on my blog.

Anonymous said...

heh the 80's are for people in their 30's!

heh


aw forget it...

Anonymous said...

Nancy and I used to think that when Irene Cara (Flashdance) sang "take your passion and make it happen" that she was actually singing "take your pants off and make it happen"! Mum was horrified.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.