Saturday, March 03, 2007

A funny thing happened on the way to the shops....

I love those moments in life when you realise how grown up you are. Probably because most of the time I feel relatively immature. Yesterday was a really hot day, and once work was through, I had no plans other than picking up a few DVD's and kicking back on the couch. I went for a wander uptown and stopped in at this new Gelati place I had heard about. I got my 2 scoops of the good stuff and headed back out on to the sizzlin' streets. It was crowded on the sidewalk and this wall of people were headed toward me. Everyone seemed to be madly rushing to somewhere. But not me, I had my Gelati and no special place to be, so I was sauntering. Out of nowhere this guy is coming toward me and when he gets right up to me, he says quietly "Out of the way tubby". And with my tiny spoon still in my mouth, I just burst laughing. I don't think he realised he was saying it out loud. But the funniest part is, I just wasn't offended in the slightest. A few years ago I would have beat him up with my handbag or verbally humiliated him. Fortunately for him I have grown up aswell as out. So my question today is, Has anyone else been a victim of a 'drive by' verbal shooting?

7 comments:

nancyshack said...

I'd like to start by saying 'what a c*ckspank'. I claim no such maturity in these instances Phillis, but probably should.

I was the perpetrator of a verbal drive by - as detailed in my latest post 'All in at the airport'.

Myself...I got royally insulted at the pub once for being a Christian, actually the only time that has happened to me.

What flavour gelati? Oh for some gelati! My kingdon for some gelati!

Anonymous said...

Well it was Cinnamon Donut flavour and Snickers Flavour. So you see why it was so important for me to get some?
My money was on you winning the verbal stouche in the pub. Ok but hang on, I have to go read your latest post. I'll be back.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I usually opt out of drunken 'does God really exist' type arguements, they never really go anywhere. If someone is really hostile to begin with, nothing I can say is going to make them think about someone else's point of view so why bother? Unless they're a right twit and deserve a good dressing down!

Wurly said...

he he - we cop a bit of 'feedback' all the time here - basically the equivalent of "foreigner" topped off with a long penetrating stare.

It's supposedly meant to be neither rude nor polite, but as a Westerner you don't need reminding every 5 minutes that, "yeah, you're a Westerner" - so most of us usually respond with some choice words, a stare back or some hand gestures...

Anonymous said...

If they know you might do something interesting of course they are going to stare. I would too. Then again I am generally a stare bear. Oh and I also agree with backing down against drunken bafoonery. Except for all those times I know I am going to win, usually because my assessment of my openant is that they are much worse off than I. So I know I will be able to run away in a straight line much quicker than they can.

Anonymous said...

Yes well, try growing up being so skinny you are told by strangers that you are anorexic and your teeth are so f*cked up you are told by strangers that "you need braces"! Yes I've led a traumatised life... got my own back in Morocco - after being followed up the street for a while by a "gawker" I turned on him and using the words of his country-men thought I'd give him a taste of his own medicine so to speak ... but only succeeded in making him laugh! At me! Well at least we laughed about it later. So no I haven't achieved your level of maturity yet Phyllis. I can only hope to learn from the "Mahster" :o)

nancyshack said...

WE WANT A POST...WE WANT A POST...WE WANT A POST!!!!!!!!!!